Monday 28 May 2012

PPD Reflection on the year....

//What have I learnt this year?

I have evaluated myself as a designer and perceived where I would like to situate myself within the design industry. This has take place via working through the modules this year.

Print module: passion for print, print processes/finishes, how to communicate on a professional level with printers.

/I have developed skills in print production and now have a core understanding of the print processes available and how to prepare my artwork for commercial print. 

/When I now produce my initial designs for my product I annotate my designs with proposed print processes and stock options I could use, this then determines the document setup and colour palette I use when I get onto the computer to design digitally.

/I take a more informed approach to designing my artwork and take into account a lot more print considerations. 

/I need to be more creative with the design choices I make as I feel I stayed quite safe with the packaging and promotional material I both produced and proposed.

/ I need to ‘think big’ and explore areas unknown to me as this is the only way I am truly going to be able to further my creativity within my designs 

Enterprise: financial skills, how to work professionally within a group situation.

Digital Design:

This has taught me AfterEffect skills that enabled me to produce a fully functional moving image. Neverthless, this has also taught me that I do not like working on this and much prefer printed matter and static digital imagery. Never again .....unless its a very short animation (I may give that a try). Although I didn't enjoy this in the slightest, at least I know have the skills to produce digital animations in the future if it is required.

Progress tutorial with Fred: I need to research, design and resolve my problem within a day. From speeding up this process I can then see where the holes are within my design, I then know what I need to research in order for me to be able to resolve the problem within the next day. This will ensure I do not begin to go round and round in circles between researching and designing, but actually resolve the problem using the research and designs I have.

Typography Elective:

/I learnt an awful lot of core typographic skills throughout this module which can now be applied effectively to my studio work.

/As I learn more skills and know how to use them in the correct manor, I can then begin to effectively break these rules which will result in creative designs that push the boundaries of typography but work sound on a technical level too.

Dreamweaver Workshop:

/The Dreamweaver workshops have taught me how to construct a website on a technical level. This has given me the skills to build my own website which I can showcase/sell my work through.

YCN:

Working with a partner made me realise the true effects of working with a partner; it was the equal sharing of work which proved the hardest. Nevertheless, I enjoyed working on this brief as I pushed myself to do tasks that I wouldn't necessarily pursue on my own and I feel the outcome truly reflected the effort we put in.

17/Self -initiated brief:

This made me realise I did not want want to work on commercial packaging design, I want to try more branding driven briefs next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment