Thursday 20 October 2011

Enterprise... How will I promote myself?

//Get their attention


To do this I will create business cards which used print based methods to convey what I like in print (emboss, gold foiling, UV spot varnish etc.)



These can be distributed at any art related events or left in places with a spark of creativity such a galleries, art cafes, craft fairs etc.

In addition to this, I already run a blog of my current practice upon the graphic design course at Leeds College of Art, however, I will run a blog (tumblr) in which I blog any design of interest to me. This will enable creative professionals to see the type of design I am interesting in and whether it fits into their ethos. I have set up an account but need to follow this up further and blog regularly.



I could also make a album on Facebook which contains images of my design practice, as after all you never know what connections any of your friends have, or I could make a whole account dedicated to my work.



//Build Their Interest

Following on from this, I could create my very own website to showcase my work; this could be linked to my information section on my Facebook and Tumblr homepage and added onto my business cards as a point of reference.  My website could contain images of my recent work, a mission statement and contact information. Allowing the website to remain simple and low key for now will provide people with the essential information but not make it too hard to manage.
I could also enter my work to be exhibited in various places; for example I recently saw a cafe back at home was asking for artists to exhibit their work, there are also a few independent shops and hairdressers around Leeds which I have noticed exhibiting artwork around their stores.



Approaching these place to enquire about exhibiting my work would be a great technique to showcase my work as you never know who may see it and take an interest in it. I would of course have to consider who would be likely to view my work and in what context (I think some thought provoking screen prints could work for shops and cafes).
Posting my work onto a platform such as Behance, where there is a network of creatives, would be another great way to get my foot in the door; a link to my website could also be linked to my Behance profile as a reference point.


I could also begin to compete for work by entering my designs into live competition briefs, this way I will be able to build up a portfolio of work which is live and relevant to the world.





//Convince Them

The mission statement I include on my website will inform the viewer of the type of design I am interested in (print based media) and the type of designer I see myself as.  From this, the viewer can decide whether they think I will be able to produce the design they require and if I fit their needs. Any work experience I gain can be listed on my website and any live briefs I enter, as this demonstrates I am a practising designer, and any outcomes of those live briefs too. I could also post a link to my Tumblr account, as this will show the viewer what my design interests are; giving them knowledge of my influences and the type of work I aspire to produce.

//Make the offer irresistible

When I am approached by someone to design for them, I am going to need to ensure that the offer I make will make them want commission me to produce the designs for them. Therefore, I need to ensure I get the correct pricing for the job (not too high, but not too low that they think the work I produce will be awful!). I could also offer to produce a few ideas/sketches of designs before they agree to work with me (I will need to ensure I watermark these before sending any designs to anybody ...it's a dog eat dog world out there!!). If I do not feel I can produce the work they require, I could recommend anybody that I knew could; this way the client will realise I am genuine and hopefully come back to me should they ever need any design work that I produce in the future or recommend me to others.

//Close the sale

In order to ensure that the client comes to me and doesn't decide to go to someone else, I will need to ensure that they are happy with the service I am providing them. If there is anything I can add to make the service more suitable for the client, such as a website design as well as business cards, then this could suggested; taking into consideration the increased cost, of course. As well as this, I should ask the client if there is anything in the service I am providing which they feel is lacking; this way I can ensure the client will be happy with the final result I produce. It will be extremely beneficial to do this  before I begin designing rather than after I have completed the work. In providing this extensive client centred service, it will hopefully lead onto the client recommending me to others.

//Reinforce myself


After completing the work I should provide an after sales service; something as simple as a quick phone call to see if everything is okay will ensure that I stay fresh in their heads and that they receive that right impression of me. This could lead onto them recommending me to other people due to the service I provide, supplying me with further mouth-to-mouth promotion.

No comments:

Post a Comment